InDev 30 - The Life is Precious Update - Released!
I'm proud to bring you one of the biggest, beefiest content filled game changer patches in Rise to Ruins history; The Life is Precious update!
This update has a metric crap ton of changes, including many that were suggested by you guys. Villagers can now carry multiple resources, they can grow old, medics have been reworked, the spawning system has been completely gutted and replace with the new corruption system, and the entire game has been fundamentally rebalanced. Check out the ridiculously extensive change log below!
The amount of changes this patch has thrown Rise to Ruins balance in the blender, and it may not quite be where we all want it yet. I'm asking everyone to provide tons of feedback about their experience. Let me know what you think. Compared to InDev 29, is it too hard, too easy, just right? What would you change? If you want to go the extra mile, hop into custom mode and make up your own brand of what you think survival and nightmare mode should be, and share your settings! This patch is a massive balance changer, unlike any patch before it. Even after extensive tweaking on the Unstable branch, it may still need additional adjustments. So it is imperative you let me know how your play sessions are going so I can adjust things in the inevitable minor patches before starting in on InDev 31! :)
InDev 30 Change Log
- The entire spawn system has been completely replaced with the new corruption system. Now, a corrupted area will spawn on the map once you place your camp, slowly consuming the world around you.
- A new mob has been added, the "Drone". Drones are mostly harmless, but will build corrupted buildings and maintain roads inside the corruption.
- Monsters no longer spawn or attack during the day time. They now start attacking at dusk, ramp up at night, and return back to the corruption during the day.
- A large majority of the monsters inside the corruption will despawn during the day. (Note: Boosted monsters never despawn.)
- Added a new "corruption resistance" range for the village that will push back and prevent corruption from spreading, that works differently than normal range and ignores all blocked tiles. Some buildings do not provide this range at all, like fire pits. You can see your village's corruption resistance using the data views panel.
- Monster spawn rates are now tied to how many days you have survived, the size of the corruption, and how many buildings are in the corruption.
- Several new corrupted buildings have been added, including hostile towers inside the corruption that will fire on villagers and golems.
- You can not cast spells inside the corruption.
- Monsters spawn when graveyards are damaged by the player.
- Skeletons now do not start spawning until day 5.
- Specters now do not start spawning until day 12.
- Fire Elementals now do not start spawning until day 16.
- Small slimes now no longer spawn until day 2.
- Regular slimes now no longer spawn until day 4.
- Zombies now no longer spawn until day 3.
Multi-Carry and Worker AI
- All villagers can now hold between 2 and 8 resources at a time based on their strength. They will gain 1 additional resource per 50 strength, and always be able to carry a minimum of at least 2. The formula is (STR/50)+2. This applies to labor golems as well.
- Harvesting AI has been modified to sometimes drop a resource on the ground. The chance they'll take resources home increases the more resources are in the area.
- Rearranged the farming AI to make it a much higher priority to do farm harvesting and tending tasks.
- Medics have been completely rewritten, they now "post" themselves at clinics, barracks and outposts and wait for injured and sick villagers to arrive.
- All of the delivery and construction harvest AI branches have been reworked and rearranged to better manage resources and make sure buildings get completed in the correct priority order if the resources are available to do so.
- Lowered the priority of dirty water in the farm to high, so the water purifier gets more dirty water.
- Reworked some AI branching that made some AI branches not fire as often as they should, like water bottle refining.
- Changed priority of clean water buckets in fountains and house from very high to high, to encourage more water buckets to make it to the bottlers.
- Cooks can now distribute rations again.
- Chanced all housing and barracks raw food priority to "high" so that kitchens get food before housing.
- Mobs will now abandon their task if the building they are in route to is destroyed or removed.
- Human villagers can now live up to a maximum 40 days, catjeet 35, and doggos 15.
- Villagers can now become wise elders late in their life, for humans this is age 35 and catjeet 30. Doggos never become wise, and will remain young hearted goofballs until they die.
- Elder villagers can chat with lower level villagers, offering them a massive XP bonus so they can level up faster.
- A new Life Expectancy statistic has been added, and as you'd expect, how long your villager should live.
- A new Lifetime Constitution stat has also been added, that starts at maximum, and anytime your villager's well being is poor either from thirst, hunger, unhappiness, healing from injuries, taking damage, poisoned and a million other factors, their lifetime constitution will go down permanently. When this happens, it can lower their Life Expectancy.
- You can never recover constitution or life expectancy, so take care of your villagers!
- Villagers can die before they become elders if they live an extremely hard life and their life expectancy drops below the minimum age to become an elder.
- Rarely, when nomads spawn some of them can arrive already as elders.
- Mothers can now die giving childbirth if their lifelong constitution is low, unless they visit a clinic to give birth.
- There is a small chance the child can die during child birth.
- Mothers now take 25% of their total current hit points in damage during child birth.
- Mothers have a 50% chance of losing 1 day of life expectancy during child birth unless they visit a clinic.
- You can no longer find keys harvesting resources.
- The chance you can find a loot box harvesting resources has been increased.
- Finding keys when trying to uncover lootboxes is now slightly more common.
- Lootbox settings can now be customized in the custom game mode menu.
Sweeping Balance Changes
- Doubled the length of a day.
- Rebalanced the stats of nearly every friendly mob in the game.
- Reduced the amount of nomads that spawn, as well as their chance to spawn.
- Starting villagers in a new region on the world map have been reduced to about 12.
- Starting resources in a new region on the world map have increased to 32.
- Starting villagers in skirmish mode reduced to 10-14.
- The amount of starting villagers in Limbo have been reduced to 19-29 in survival and nightmare.
- The monster spawn rates in survival, nightmare and traditional have been reduced.
- Farms now grow slower.
- Wild food now grows and spreads 2 times slower.
- All food items now provide more overall food.
- Almost all job slots provided by all work buildings has been cut in half.
- Occupancy maximum for housing has been cut in half.
- You now gain twice as much maximum influence per villager.
- Halved the doggo spawn rates.
- Rebalanced the length of nighttime in both Summer and Winter. Summer nights are now longer, and Winter nights are now shorter.
- The mob level hard cap has been raised to 200.
- Reduced the speed health is regenerated when in a house.
- Tripled the duration of poison, blight and dysentery, but also reduced damage taken by them by two thirds, resulting in the same amount of damage over a much longer period of time.
- Increased Cold Aura spell cost.
- Charm spell cost has been reduced by 25%, and the failure chance removed.
- An eclipse can no longer happen the same day as a full moon.
- Slimes now heal 3 times slower.
- Blood slimes now heal 2 times slower.
- Reduced range generated by outposts.
- Housing now requires rock for the first and second upgrades.
- Added all new Patreons' rewards to the game.
- Monsters no longer wander to radiance pools.
- The base village range of all towers provide has been increased by about 50%. (Note: This is not firing range)
- Reworked how the interface autoscaling works to get slightly better results.
- There are now a small amount of particles that generate when a mob gains XP.
- When a mob gains a level, there is no longer a message in the console, and the sound is localized to where they leveled instead of being global.
- There are now some particle effects when a mob levels.
- Changed how essence is generated from objects, making the output more varied in appearance.
- When the game needs to find an open space to force drop a resource, the location is a bit more randomized now.
- Increased the rate light levels transition.
- You can now advance the passage of time in sandbox mode if you enable debug mode.
- You can now set the clock to 16x speed if you enable debug mode.
- Survival Island map tweaked slightly.
- Removed map "Bottleneck" from the Official Maps list.
- Increased the range provided by the forge.
- Nomad settings can now be customized in the custom game mode menu.
- There is now a 1 in 50 chance that a fire elemental will spawn when a meteor hits.
- Radiance pools now slowly generate energy the player can steal with their hand.
- Radiance pools no longer use cut stone, but require more rock and crystal.
- Removed the single-threaded settings from the game, as they caused more trouble than they helped in almost all scenarios.
- Updated many of the tips.
- A new statistics panel has been added to the game, showing tons of daily statistics about your village.
- All GUI code has been completely gutted and reorganized, most of the changes will be transparent to the player. But pretty much everything under the hood was redone.
- Updated the mouse lock icon.
- Spells on the spell bar will no longer stay highlighted even if no spell is selected.
- Right clicking to add/remove workers now adds and removes plus or minus 5, rather than 10.
- Lowered the "low villager count" warning in the problem panel from 10 to 5 villagers.
- Changed the description of the crystillery so it fits in the description box.
- You can now access the reset AI function by holding down left shift on the selected region panel in world map view, and the load game menu in skirmish.
- Tips popping up now cancel the current task, to prevent accidental clicking.
- Pausing the game hides the entire GUI now, but you can interact with the new statistics panel, the main menu panel, settings, and see the clock.
- Keys are no longer listed as "Rare wood drops" in the resource production panel.
- Players now get subtle warnings the time of day period before a full moon, eclipse or blood moon.
- Updated copyright date on main menu.
Optimizing and Big Fixes
- Multithreaded the autosave system, reducing save time substainally for multicore processors.
- Removed even more erroneous names from the name list.
- Wrote in a system to remove erroneous names during runtime, preventing them from causing problems.
- Catjeet nomad children are now in the correct mob group.
- Fixed a bug that would allow workers to "overfill" the farm while it is being upgraded.
- Heavily optimized the provisioner price update and stock increase code. This should completely eliminate the "New day" lag some players have been having.
- Fixed a rare crash when a mob is harvesting a resource and it the tile decays before he completes his work.
- Fixed crash when casting mend on walls that were completely blocked on all sides.
- Fixed a minor bug that would make laborers leave the marketplace too quickly sometimes.
- Fixed a minor shadow generation glitch on the construction phase of the rain catcher.
- Fixed a few minor errors in the water artwork.
- Compressed all sound effects a bit, increasing load times and shrinking the game's initial install size.
- Tons of code cleanup to the input code for the game.
- Reworked all the code related to coloring mob sprites in game, cleaning up a lot of minor issues with recoloring mobs.
- Fixed the statistics panel from rendering incorrectly with interface scale settings other than 1.
- When selecting a terrain while making a new map, you no longer unselect the map size.
- Fixed mining facility upgrade descriptions.
- Fixed a minor typo in the catjeet laboror's tasking AI.
- Fixed a typo in the debug screen, that was showing the topography layers flipped.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.